About Me

Monday, March 15, 2010

p=mv

Never underestimate the power of momentum. Or physics, for that matter.

I speak of this, of course, in metaphorical matters because brevity is not my strong point, and if I were to take on the perks of momentum in the physical sense (say, pedaling through the trough of a downhill to make rolling up the next climb easier) we'd be here all day extolling what should be fairly obvious.

But when it comes to momentum in my daily routine, sometimes the benefits are not so obvious and I have to remind myself. Or subtly not remind myself of anything and just let it happen. Usually momentum is already there, it takes your own ill-advised interference to slow it down or throw it off track.

I am coming out of this weekend with a great deal of momentum, even though it could be very easy not to. I made a lot of mistakes (noob amateur mistakes, in the bike racing** arena) and hit some barriers (not literally, thank god). However, as my favorite fortune cookie of late states, "Nothing is a waste of time if you use it wisely". And for all my mix-ups, I earned a great deal of learned experience. I can't say that I will "never" do something again, but certainly, I will be a great deal more conscious to arrive early to events, have a spare car key, etc. S'all part of the process.

Possibly the greatest achievement and point of pride for myself that came out of this weekend was the up-close-and-personal engagement I had with my spontaneous self. That is, the person that rides, speaks, hurdles, laughs or stands up for myself in a moment where anticipated response is impossible. My proudest moments from racing this weekend came in the situations where I was obligated to act without thought. I surprised myself and gained a great deal of confidence in my ability to encounter unanticipated adversity with creative and effective solutions. That part of me that policed my actions for so long for fear of embarrassing myself was silenced into submission by confidence that was gained each time I both acted and recognized performative problem-solving and hard-working capabilities.

So, as I woke up today, the first day of spring break, with nearly 13 hours of logged restorative sleep under my wing, I felt well. After a wonderful morning coffee conversation with my mom to start off the day, followed by a great interaction with my psychiatrist, lunch at home and the breeze blowing through my windows, I am feeling the collective momentum of a weekend of welcomed experience and riding the lightning of initiative I feel in my re-charged batteries.

It, my friends, is one of the greatest feelings alive.

**The race I speak of was the Tucson Bicycle Classic, a three-day stage race held every year in beautiful Sahuarita and Green Valley, Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment