About Me

Friday, January 22, 2010

It's Fri-day... and We Ain't Got Shit to Do




Afternoon breakfast: post-work out, post therapy:

Bananas Foster Bagel with Blueberries and Walnuts

1 sprouted-wheat sesame bagel, grilled with Earth Balance
1 Banana and 3 Walnuts, sauteed in 1 tbsp. honey, Earth Balance*
Handful blueberries, sauteed in remaining butter/honey*
Neko Case- Middle Cyclone Album***

*Fruit strategically placed on bagel halves for a well-presented, slightly messy, mouth-watering madness prior to devouring.
***Necessary soundtrack for full Bananas Foster bagel experience

UHHMMMMM! Nummers Nananers.

Due to the nutty weather and a late start on the morning, I headed to the new Rec center at the U of A to exercise prior to my counseling appointment. The U recently unveiled the new Rec Center expansion wing- which is a little mind-blowing considering the University cannot even pay its professors right now. ANYWAY, I was excited to get a glimpse at the new building and space. (There are a lot of theoretical criticisms on the concept of gyms that some feminist on my shoulder tries to whisper in my ear, but if I am to be completely honest, I love going to the these big modern sweat boxes.)

Particularly, I love new, modern gyms that have millions of ways to get my sweat and hard(body)on. And that being the case, the New Rec is a total boner-fest for the exercise nut in me. Floor-to-ceiling glass windows, multi-levels packed with weights, mats, state-of-the art machines and great space organization are all part of the experience. Most of the cardio machines even have personal TVs installed! And although I don't really get down with television during my sweatfest and prefer to listen to my i-pod, the option is pretty rad. There is also climbing walls and rocks for bouldering outside, and many other rooms/neat facilities I did not see in my brief time there.

I have avoided exercising on campus for the last 5 years, but the attractiveness of the new rec almost makes the visual rape I endure under the gaze of my peers worth it. I may have to reconsider driving 15 min. to LA Fitnesse for the new guy...

More sad news from Haiti: heard on radio reports this morning that lack of law enforcement is creating even more opportunities for violence against women. Rapes are being reported at a high number, particularly in Cite Soleil, where armed men are terrorizing displaced people still waiting on aid and supplies. Cannot imagine the panic and fear women in Haiti must be enduring. I am sure there will be discussions about the developing violence against women in Haiti tonight at V. Monologues rehearsal. Eve Ensler will know what to do- or at the very least, have something to say. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to discuss current issues amongst a group of women who are knowledgeable and care.


No comments:

Post a Comment